Citizen Tools

How to reach the media in Northwest B.C.

How to Reach the Media

Have an issue or event you would like the media to cover? Here is how to reach the main print, broadcast and web media outlets in the Stikine riding:

The Interior News
Phone: (250) 847-3266

CFNR Radio
Phone: 1-866-833-2367

The Peak Radio
Phone: (250) 847-2521

CBC Radio (Daybreak North)
Phone: 1-866-340-1932

Phone: (250) 635-6316

Community organizations and NGOs in Stikine

Need to access a community resource? Want to get involved in improving your community? I’ve compiled a list of some of the community organizations and NGOs doing important work in our area.

Smithers Community Services Association – SCSA is a non-profit community organization based in Smithers that is dedicated to the provision of services that enhance the equality of life and promote equal opportunity for all people within our community. Some of the programs that SCSA offers include a youth empowerment program, seniors housing, ESL support and FASD services.
Phone: 1-888-355-6222 toll free

Northern Society for Domestic Peace – NSDP is a comprehensive non-profit social service agency that aim to develop, deliver, and support programs that provide opportunities for individuals and families to strengthen their relationships and the quality of their lives. Some of the programs that NSDP offers include a transition house, a pregnancy outreach program, domestic violence counselling, and police-based victim services.
Phone: 1-877-633-9933

Storytellers’ Foundation – Storytellers’ Foundation is a fiercely place-based and community driven organization. We serve as a catalyst for grassroots learning and organizing. Through informal education, participatory research and development, and our social enterprises we help create spaces for people to gain skills, knowledge, and confidence to act on their dreams for justice and equality within a locally controlled economy.
Phone: (250) 842-6500

High Road Community Services Society – High Road is a non-profit organization that provides residential services, self-help skills, supported employment and semi-independent living programs.
Phone: (250) 847-2285

Broadway Place Emergency Shelter – SCSA works in partnership with BC Housing to provide emergency shelter services for the Smithers area. Broadway Place provides supervision and ensures a safe, supportive environment for all clients in need of emergency shelter. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Phone: 250-847-4660

Skeena Watershed Conservation Coalition – SWCC is working to cultivate a sustainable future from a sustainable environment rooted in culture and a wild salmon ecosystem.
Phone: (250) 842-2494

Friends of Wild Salmon – FOWS is a group of residents of British Columbia’s North Coast and Skeena watershed who have come together to work towards a common goal: the protection of wild salmon. Contact FOWS by clicking here.

How to file a freedom of information request

Did you know that you have the right to access the records of any public body in British Columbia? There are some exceptions, but B.C.‘s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act is a key tool for learning about how government decisions are made. The Q&A below is taken directly from the government website of the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.

How do I request access to information or my personal information?

Write to the information and privacy office of the public body that you think has the records you want. Describe the records as clearly and completely as possible and request access to them. Click here to go to the government website to request a form you may use to request access to information.

Is there a time limit for a public body to respond to my request?

Normally, a public body must respond to your request within 30 days. If a public body needs additional time to respond, it must tell you so and explain why. It also must tell you when you can expect its full response. You have the right to complain to us about a public body’s extension of time.

What kind of response can I expect?

If a public body does not have the records you requested, it will tell you and may transfer or refer your request to the public body that does. If a public body does have the records you requested, it may release all or parts of them to you. If a public body refuses to release all or parts of records to you, it must tell you why. It also must tell you that you have the right to request a review of its decision by the Information and Privacy Commissioner within 30 working days. Contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner to find our how to request a review by emailing or calling (250) 387-5629.

Does it cost money to request records?

A public body cannot charge you for access to your own personal information. It may, however, charge you for access to non-personal information if it takes more than three hours to find or prepare the records for release. It also may charge you for the cost of copying and sending records to you. If a public body intends to charge a fee for records, it must first give you a fee estimate. It also has the authority to excuse a fee. If you want a fee waived, you have to ask the public body and should give reasons why. You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner about a fee.